- Rituximab, antiCD-20 monoclonal
- Rituximab is a chimeric murine/human monoclonal antibody based on human
immunoglobulin G (IgG).
- binds to the antigen CD20, which regulates the activation process for cell
cycle initiation and differentiation.
- CD20 antigen is found in normal
and malignant pre-B and mature B lymphocytes, including those in over 90% of
B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL).
- The antigen is absent in hematopoietic stem cells, activated B lymphocytes
(plasma cells) and normal tissues.
of the B lymphocytes by activating the complement cascade and immune
effector cells (antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity), and inducing
depletes B lymphocytes from peripheral blood, lymph nodes and bone marrow, but
does not affect hematopoietic