- toddlers will naturally discover their genitals
- he'll often touch his penis when the diaper is off
- it is neither a sexual nor emotional experience, it just feels good
- do not discourage, worry about it or call attention to it
- if you show a strong negative reaction, you are suggesting that something
is wrong or bad about these body parts
- wait until he's older to teach him about privacy and modesty
- for now, accept his behavior as normal curiosity.
Caring for your baby and child: birth to age 5. Revised Ed.
May interfere with urination
- typical history: a boy goes to pee, but complains of pain, so stops, then
able to pee a little later, usually occuring after waking up or after a nap.
What's happening is the boy has an erection that prevents urination. Allow the
boy to relax and hold his pee for a minute or two.