Marasmus vs Kwashiorkor
- inadequate caloric intake due to insufficient diet, to improper feeding
habits or to metabolic abnormalities or congenital malformations.
- characterized by failure to gain weight, followed by loss of weight and
then emaciation; abdomen may be distended or flat; have muscle atrophy
- a clinical syndrome that results from severe deficiency of protein
and an inadequate caloric intake.
- protein deficiency can be due to insufficient intake, impaired absorption,
abnormal losses, or failure of protein synthesis.
- may become evident from early infancy to about 5 years of age; usually
after weaning from breast.
- often characterized by lethargy, apathy, irritability; inadequate growth,
loss of muscle tissue, increased susceptibility to infections, and edema.
CHLA Board review 2005