- Characterized by
- diffuse myofascial aching
- multiple "tender points"
- a non-restorative sleep pattern.
- The combination of diffuse aches and a tender point count of 18 or more is
sufficient for diagnosis.
- Symptoms are influenced by fatigue, tension, cold or humid weather,
excessive work, and inactivity.
- Stiffness is diffuse, avoiding specific joint areas.
- May have morning stiffness but does not last as long as in JRA.
- Often have a sleep disorder with abnormalities in stage 4 non-REM sleep.
- May have parasthesias but normal exam.
- Labs are normal.
- Treatment involves reconditioning/exercise. Drug therapy for sleep (e.g.,amitriptyline)
may also help
CHLA Board Review 2005